04/06/2022

[Tunnels and Trolls] New adventure released!

I've just released a new PWYW Tunnels and Trolls adventure that I wrote for use in convention play, Ferverax and the Wildnerness of Gleam. It features a hand-painted map for the party to move around on at speed as they try to locate the invisible castle of the titualar evil wizard Ferverax.

 

He has an X at the end of his name, he must be bad news

I did my usual 'over-prepare in a panic by 5000%' method and spent hours on this acrylic painting for the map. It's very much inspired by the Mike Winterbauer school of CRPG map design, and in fact the adventure does feature magical fountains that boost your level a la Might & Magic which Mike produced some absolutely glorious maps for.

Map by me, Andrew Walter. The original is big!

Tunnels & Trolls is a game I've really found myself enamoured with in the last few months (I have had the 5th edition rules for several years but it never really clicked for me until quite recently). Of all the 'old games' it definitely seems to be the one that's languishing, which is a shame because I think the central Saving Throw mechanic would really appeal to a lot of the more modern rules-lite folks out there, and then of course there's the bugfuck crazy 'wall-of-fists' combats where you roll buckets of d6. It's currently still in an odd space as far as third-party creators after the acquisition of Flying Buffalo by Webbed Sphere, but since this is free hopefully I'm not stepping on any legal toes.

I'll probably do a proper wot-i-think post about Tunnels & Trolls in future but until then, I hope people enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment